Qi gong is a basic exercise system that is heavily used in martial arts training as well as to improve physical and spiritual health. With origins dating back to 2000 years ago in China, this system involves moving meditation, deep rhythmic breathing, body postures and movement. Qi gong cultivates and balances qi or life energy. Indeed, the reason of its popularity can be attributed to the fact that this exercise system is for all – kids, old, physically-handicapped, and so on. Here’s a summary for you:
Qi is not about gaining muscles or strengthening bodies. Actually, it’s a completely different notion. Eastern philosophy claims qi to be a vital force or energy found in every living creature. Moreover, Qigong trainers say that qi is an energy that builds our body’s resistance to fight against illness and keeps us active.
Qi Gong: What To Expect
Qigong is a union of meditation, breathing, and aerobic exercises. It uses physical movements and breathing techniques to focus qi in our body which can, in turn, help our body recover and heal. Through Qigong, we can maintain qi and live a quality life.
Qigong is done for self-awareness and meditation. As a meditation practice, it calms the mind and helps us enter a state of awareness that can eventually bring clarity of thought. Many people choose it over seated meditation because of its soft and gentle but focused movements.
What Can Qi Gong Do
Just like other exercise systems, Qigong can benefit both our mind and body. Here are some proven benefits of this one-of-a-kind exercise routine.
- Helps Manage Stress: Qigong greatly affects how we perceive and deal with stress. It teaches us to accept any stressful situation as it is and overcome it easily. Consequently, Qigong is quite beneficial for martial art students and those who may have to face challenge or competition.
- Eliminates Back Pain: This exercise system can lessen back pain to a great extent. If you face back problems, this exercise routine is a must for you.
- Boosts Immunity: Constant practice of Qigong can improve the functioning of our immune system and make us more resistant to disorders.
- Good For Lungs: As this exercise system involves breathing techniques, it can contribute to healthy lungs.
- Improves Memory: The Qigong exercise system sharpens the mind as well as improves concentration levels.
- Good For Joints: Qigong teaches you the art of balancing. Once you learn to balance better, you will be less prone to falls and joint injuries. Further, its stretches will improve the body’s flexibility. This is great for people with balance problems.
- Self-healing: Through the art of qi, people can self-heal their own bodies and disorders. This is often achieved by focusing on the self as well as by using self-motivation as a tool.
- Achieving Spiritual Well-Being: Qigong can hep us understand the universe and its vital forces. This can, in turn, drive us forward on the path of spirituality.