Many people doubt the need for practicing mindfulness meditation in martial arts. They think meditation and martial arts are poles apart and one has nothing to do with the other. Indeed, the truth is summarized here. Martial art is not only about those self-defense moves and strikes but it is also about the art of mind; the art that incorporates the elements of focus, mindfulness, and calmness. So, in order to win a battle, boosting these three components via meditation is important.
Why Is Mindfulness Meditation Important?
Mindfulness Meditation plays a major role in all forms of martial arts – whether it is Kung Fu, Tae kwon do, or MMA. Although a martial art student should focus more on the self-defense techniques, his training is incomplete if he fails to self-examine his mind and body.
Here why meditation is an important component of any martial art class:
- Becoming True To Self: Meditation will help martial art trainees know their true-self and differentiate between right and wrong. It will allow them to be honest regarding themselves, their approach, goals, etc.
- Achieving Optimal Energy Level: A martial art student who has optimal energy levels will give his best shot than someone with too low or too high energy. Mindfulness Meditation is one way to achieve perfect energy levels.
- Boosting Self-Control: Martial art trainees who practice meditation regularly are able to ward off negative feelings from their minds. These negative feelings include anger, lack of self-confidence, jealousy, too much sensitivity, etc. Once these elements have gotten rid of, students can land on the ground with just one aim in mind – to focus and win!
- Improving Focus: Meditation allows concentrating better on ‘something’. Focus is important in martial arts as, without it, students would fail to pick up the right opportunity to defend themselves during a battle.
- Self-Relief: Anxiety is one negative factor that can affect the performance of those who practice martial arts. Meditation practice is one way to fight this anxiety. It will help you relax your mind so that you won’t feel nervous before your fights.
- Self-Healing: Meditation has been used as a healing source from decades. It helps your body to heal quickly.
- Less Emotional Reactivity: Mindfulness can lessen emotional reactivity. This will, in turn, help students keep their mood well-balanced during the fight.
Mindful meditation practice that includes the elements of focus, mindfulness, and calmness is quite important for martial art trainees. The practice helps them boost these elements and consequently perform better on the ground. Remember – without calmness, an individual mind cannot fight with a stress-free mind. Without concentration or focus, he won’t find the right opportunity to attack the opponent. Without mindfulness, he can’t fight without getting hit.
Mindful meditation is important for martial arts students to awaken their conscience. It improves their self-control as well as help them relax and focus better. The meditation practice also has great healing power and can heal their bodies after every session.